Tuesday, July 7, 2015

1 Year !?

It's amazing the things you take for granted in life. I was hoping to have a "foreign" experience when I came on a mission, and looking back, it's actually really funny how "foreign" it's been. The weather in itself is a whole different spectrum, aside from the fact that I've never seen so much green. Green grows out of everything, even road signs. and weeds grow on rooftops. I've had (countless) spiders (several the size of my hand) invade our apartment, I've been lost in the jungle when it's foggy and pouring rain and no light to be had except from our dying flashlight and chased by dogs (and people) and many other things I wasn't expecting. I even learned some Cambodian. This week we added the "no showers" factor.
And it's only been a year :)
(happy 1 year to me!) 

So, this has just been a crazy week. Aside from not being able to shower half the week, I also got a sinus infection (which is much better now) that just caused some crazy headaches. We had a lot of dropped appointments and it's been super toasty, but things are going so good! I love being in Shelton! It's one of the most beautiful places I've seen. So green and lots of views of the Olympic mountains and waterfronts. Our zone goes out to the ocean, so we'll be taking some beach trips! 

We met with a boy, Colby, who just barely turned 10 and got baptized a couple months ago. His dad isn't a member but we had a really good talk with him. (He builds fullblown hovercrafts. No joke. That's his career.) Anyhoo, we were teaching Colby the plan of salvation and I slipped and said something about "heaven and hell" and he stopped me and said "we don't say that word in my house!" and made me repent. hahaha It was a humbling experience. 

We're teaching a 84 year old lady Sheila who is the sweetest. I love her! We're going to be setting a date for baptism for her today! We're also teaching a 17 year old Laticia who's family doesn't speak English but her dad won't let the Elders teach her and she wants to learn in English anyway. She is SO amazing and we set a date for her to be baptized the day after she turns 18! She's so excited. Now we just have to wait for next May. But she's planning on going to girls camp and came to church on Sunday! She loves it! We are trying to teach Jared, who just got engaged to a girl in the spanish branch, but he's been busy while she's in town.

4th of July was super hot and there was lots of parties, but one lady told us "The Mormons are the only reason America is still here." HA. We had fun hanging out with the sisters in Elma for a couple hours and watched Meet the Mormons and had lots of food and good fun. 

Things are going good. I love Sister Thurber, and training is really fun. I think she's more training me than I'm training her. We're working hard and having a good time. The work of the Lord is an amazing thing to be a part of. The power of the Spirit is so real. Our Heavenly Father loves us so much. I know that this is the Church of Jesus Christ. He is guiding it, and He will guide us if we listen. My testimony of the Book of Mormon has grown so much. Read it! Every day! It is truly divine and I have come so much closer to my Savior and my faith and trust in Him has grown more than I can say, and it continues to. I love my Savior Jesus Christ! I know that He lives, and because He does, we can become clean from guilt, shame, and sin. We can become better and change our lives and our hearts. His power and His Priesthood are real, and you can feel it as you read and study the Book of Mormon and experience the change personally. I love this Gospel and there is no where else I'd rather be than serving my Lord. I love you all and hope you have the best week!

Sister Wilson

PS - To make this spider season fun, Sister Thurber and I started a competition of who can kill the most. 
This week's score: Wilson - 14. Thurber - 2.

 I. Love. Washington.

 So, fun story. 
It's been ridiculously warm and humid this week which led for particularly uncomfortably sweaty days. Alas, on Monday night, we realized the drain in our shower had quit draining and it took 3+ hours to get a gallon down the drain. We called lots of people, and tried plumber and wire hangers and every kind of solution to no avail. TRAGEDY. We couldn't shower (I tried) and especially after having chemicals sitting in it couldn't do anything. SO. On the third day (Thursday) and after much trial and nastiness and dry shampoo and prayers, a member in the ward let us come over and use their shower. GLORY HALLELUJAH. And then, a few hours later someone finally called us back and a guy from another ward came and fixed our drain! BLESSED DAY! I have never been so grateful to be clean. This is why I'm in America.

 4th of July! We totally coordinated and people enjoyed it :)

We got to hang out with the sisters in Elma for a couple hours before going home! (we had to be in by 8 but weren't allowed to proselyte, so we got permission to have an activity!) It was way fun

No comments:

Post a Comment