Monday, May 4, 2015

Fear not what man [or dogs] can do

This was a pretty exciting week. Lots of just weird things happened. Lots of fun stories, to say the least. In case you didn't know, everybody has at least 6 dogs in Washington (especially in Oly). Not really, but at least one or two (the most I've seen is 16 dachshunds - no puppies) So, that makes for lots of fun stories in going behind people's gates to knock on their door. Sis Loy has a massive fear of dogs, so I try to protect her, and there have been many an awkward moment with dogs trying to attack us. BUT, I haven't been bit in 9 months so far (knock on wood) so let's hope. I understand my parent's reasoning for not getting another puppy for Christmas, cause lemme tell you, they add up quick.

SO, you know how people say that fast and testimony meetings are a missionary's nightmare? We lived that yesterday. It's always sketch. But we had Sara (our solid progressing investigator who's getting baptized) come to church and after I was explaining to her what happens in testimony meeting and how it's cool, the first one was terrifying. The sweet member had no filter and said some insensitive things that related to some sensitive situations and my over-protective-mother-powers kicked in which was a feeling I haven't felt before. But anyway. Sara fasted yesterday! She hasn't told her family about all this yet and needed some help and direction (they believe Mormonisms a cult. woo.) so we're anxiously praying and waiting for that. I love her to death. Extra prayers her way would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have a ton of time, but this morning I studied a bit about grace. I started in 2 Nephi 25 where it says "it is by grace we are saved, after all we can do." Christ already suffered for all of our wrongdoings and pains, and it is only through His grace that we can be saved in the kingdom of the Father, but He does expect us to try our best. He gave us commandments, and He's asked us to follow them, and to follow Him.

"...through the grace of the Lord that individuals, through faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ and repentance of their sins, receive strength and assistance to do good works that they otherwise would not be able to maintain if left to their own means. This grace is an enabling power that allows men and women to lay hold on eternal life and exaltation after they have expended their own best efforts." 

Our best efforts will never be enough to make up for all that He has done, but He loves us and cares for us enough to help us in every thing. He makes up the difference for the things that we lack. In looking for another scripture, my book opened up to D&C 50:40-44, which is one of my favorite scriptures:

40 Behold, ye are little children and ye cannot bear all things now; ye must grow in grace and in the knowledge of the truth.
 41 Fear not, little children, for you are mine, and I have overcome the world, and you are of them that my Father hath given me;
 42 And none of them that my Father hath given me shall be lost.
 43 And the Father and I are one. I am in the Father and the Father in me; and inasmuch as ye have received me, ye are in me and I in you.
 44 Wherefore, I am in your midst, and I am the good shepherd, and the stone of Israel. He that buildeth upon this rock shall never fall.

It's such a comfort to me that our Heavenly Father loves us so much, and that His Son Jesus Christ did all that He did and endured everything for you. For me and you individually as His brothers and sisters. He knows and loves us so personally - our strengths and weaknesses, likes and dislikes, struggles and accomplishments. He's there through it all. He lives so that we may live. We give what we can, and he appreciates every bit. He doesn't expect perfection, but He does expect progress, and until He comes again we will grow grace by grace as He did. We don't need to fear because of Him. When we build our selves and our lives on Christ we won't fall, despite the storms and trials that come against us (Hel 5:12). I love the scriptures so very much. I love being a missionary more and more and I love learning everything I am learning. I wouldn't give up this time for anything in the world. I love each of you so much and thank you so much for all of your support and love! I hope you have the most amazing week!!

Sister Wilson 

 Last p-day we went exploring in Downtown Oly

 exploring the state capitol

 me and my buddy GW

  "save our pets in case of fire" sticker that literally every person has in their window

 this is someone's driveway that looked like we were walking through some Asian jungle

 picture taken mid-mosquito-swat 

 LoyLoy and I


No comments:

Post a Comment